Sunday, February 5, 2012

Everyone's a little bit Racist



I've recently been forced to confront the fact that I'm Black.  I know, this is news to you as well.  Lemme explain.  I've spent my whole life being a loving daughter/sister, a model student, best friend ever, and an exemplary teacher.  But to some folks, regardless of all of those magnificent attributes, I'm still ... just ... Black.

Don't get me wrong, I love being Black!  My people have such a rich history & have been through so much, it's amazing we're still standing.  However, there are some people who can't rejoice in our successes because to them we'll always be second-class citizens; not smart enough, not pretty enough, not deserving of anything.

No matter how far we think we've progressed as a country, there are still some people who only see race.  Let's take this month, as short as it is, to have open dialogues & confront these issues head on. Otherwise, like a pot of boiling water left unattended, our underlying issues will spill out onto the surface.  Trust me, I know first hand...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...