Sunday, June 9, 2013

Farewell, My Beloved


Before Hedu Turkoglu. Before LeBron James, there was Grant Hill, the ORIGINAL point forward. Last week, Grant quietly retired from the NBA after 18 seasons. And officially broke my heart. 

Grant was the first basketball player I ever loved. He was a great player and a great man. While other girls had pictures of Paul McCartney or Elvis in their locker, I had a picture of Grant. After his first six seasons of his career in Detroit, Grant averaged 6.2 assists, 7.7 rebounds and 21.5 points.  His Detroit numbers are comparable to LeBron's career stats (6.9 assists, 7.3 rebounds, 27.6 points).  I'm tryna tell you, that boy was good!

He woulda been one of the greats if he hadn't been plagued with injuries. First ankle injuries, then a near deadly staph infection, then a hernia. But he still lasted 18 years in the league. To me, he'll always be Number One in my heart. 

Farewell, My Beloved Grant.

I took this picture while I was supposed to be watching my BFF graduate from Business School

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...