Monday, November 28, 2011

Christmas Countdown: Most memorable gift


Christmas is my fav time of year. I get to spend time with my family laughing & eating, two things we do well.  Also, today marks Cyber Monday, meaning instead of doing work at work, you're probably buying your Christmas presents online right now.  Shame on all of yall.  Well, in honor of the upcoming Christmas season, I wanted to share my most memorable Christmas gift.

My most memorable Christmas gift came from my little sister, circa Christmas 1992.  I was 8 years old and my sister was 5. At our school, they set up at Santa's workshop so kids could buy gifts for their parents, grandparents, friends, etc.  Now that I think about it, all they ever really sold were over-priced #1 Mom mugs (of which my mother has 143), but I digress.  So my sister made her list of gifts to buy and my parents gave her the money.  Fast forward to Christmas morning...I don't remember what else I got, probably 1000s of toys cuz I had been exceptionally good that year. So I go to open the gift from my sister and there it is...

....a red

.... shiny

.... sparkly

... PENCIL.  (Oh no this child DID NOT just give me a pencil for Christmas).  I understand that she was 5 and that in her lil 5 year old mind this was a cool gift, but I was pissed!  Add that on to the power wheels that my parents NEVER GOT ME and I would swear to you that I was deprived as a child.

Alas, my parents made up for the power wheel-less years with a real car on my 16th birthday and my sister's gift giving has improved considerably in the last 19 years.  During this holiday season, remember the old addage 'tis better to give than to receive' unless you're giving a pencil; then you shouldn't expect to receive anything.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...