Sunday, April 1, 2012

Autism Awareness Month



I *heart* Autism!

April is Autism Awareness Month, and as a former teacher of students with autism, I HAD to commemorate this month.  For those that don't know, autism is a neurological disorder that effects a person's ability to communicate, take care of themselves, relate to other people, and their brain functioning.  Autism was made popular in the movie Rainman, but trust me, not all people with autism are savants.

As a special ed teacher, autism was my favorite disability.  I know that sounds weird, but kid's with autism are amazing.  They live in their own world but every now and then, they'll let you in.  Once you're in, you are in for a hilariously challenging ride but it's all worth it when you see them learn a new skill or make a new connection.  Although I don't teach anymore, I think about my students all the time.  Kids with autism will always hold a special place in my heart.

This month, I want to honor every mother, father, sister, brother, and teacher of children with autism.  I know personally that they are exceptional people with gigantic hearts and thick skin.  If no one else tells you today or any day, I think you are AMAZING!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...