Saturday, June 30, 2012

Book Review: Black is the New White


Let me tell yall why I love Paul Mooney:
  • He's unapologetically Black
  • He constantly refers to himself as good-looking
  • His outlook on everyday issues like racism are hilarious yet spot on
Basically, Paul Mooney is me.

This book is about Paul Mooney's struggle to make it in Hollywood and NOT 'making it' because he was too Black.  Don't misunderstand me, Paul Mooney is a legend.  This man wrote for the Richard Pryor Show, In Living Color, and the Chappelle Show.  As far as Black comedy goes, he's royalty.  Although he might not be mentioned with the likes of Jay Leno and Dave Letterman, it's not because he's not as funny as them, they just have the "complexion for protection."  While this book is Paul's autobiography, at times I feels like the biography of Richard Pryor, Mooney's best friend.  Now, I'm not complaining; while I've not seen much of Pryor's comedy, my father is a huge fan and Mooney is able to dive into the intricacies of Pryor's brain like no one else. 

At 70 years old, Paul Mooney has seen a lot of things.  But he's still standing, he's still funny, and he's still Black. 

Next up: Hunger Games 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...